I have been stalking this new foundation since it was previewed at New York Fashion Week, and on Bella Hadid’s face in particular, back in February. I have now managed to get my hands on the samples and have swatched all twenty shades for you, along with before and after photos of it on my skin. Check out the NARS Velvet Matte Foundation Stick Swatches right here.
So this is NARS’ first stick foundation and I have to say, they have done an amazing job of it. I am more of a dewy girl than a matte girl, but this finish is gorgeous. It’s not flat matte, but gives a soft, diffused look that still has a glow. And the texture is gorgeous – so smooth and creamy with a brilliant melting consistency.
NARS Velvet Matte Foundation Stick
- The formula provides instantly smooth, comfortable, soft-matte perfection
- Formulated for waterless application
- Does not dry, streak, or leave a cakey finish
- Can be used for full-face or on-the-go correction
- Also ideal for contouring
- Features a removable Touch-Up Blender (latex-free)
- Buildable coverage
- Available in 20 shades
NARS Velvet Matte Foundation Stick Swatches
- Siberia Light 1 – light with neutral balance of pink and yellow undertones
- Mont Blanc Light 2 – light with pink undertones
- Gobi Light 3 – light with yellow undertones
- Deauville Light 4 – light with a neutral balance
- Fiji Light 5 – light with yellow undertones
- Ceylan Light 6 – medium with yellow undertones
- Punjab Medium 1 – medium with golden, peachy tones
- Vallauris Medium 1.5 – medium with pink undertones
- Santa Fe Medium 2 – medium with peachy undertones
- Stromboli Medium 3 – medium with olive undertones
- Barcelona Medium 4 – medium with olive undertones
- Syracuse Medium Dark 1 – medium-dark with brown undertones
- Tahoe Medium Dark 2 – medium-dark with caramel undertones
- Cadiz Medium Dark 3 – medium-dark with caramel and red undertones
- Macao Medium Dark 4 – medium-dark with yellow undertones
- New Guinea Medium Dark 5 – medium-dark with red undertones
- Trinidad Dark 1 – dark with warm yellow undertones
- New Orleans Dark 2 – dark with yellow undertones
- Benares Dark 3 – dark with golden undertones
- Khartoum Dark 4 – dark with espresso undertones
The texture is gorgeous. It literally melts on to the skin from the stick, and blends so easily. I drew it straight on and then buffed it in with a buffing brush. It would be great for contouring as well as foundation.
Before & After
With Deauville applied:
I love the finish. It layers and builds really well so you can get the coverage you need. It’s very easy to use. I found that I didn’t need to set it with powder which I like.
I hope you found my NARS Velvet Matte Foundation Stick Swatches helpful. The foundation launches on 1st September 2017 for £30. Find NARS here.
Unless otherwise indicated products reviewed are press or brand examples. Links may be affiliated links which means that if you make a purchase though one of our links we receive a small commission which helps support and run this website.